resolver search order question

Norman P. B. Joseph joseph at ctc.com
Thu May 25 21:18:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 13:54 -0700, Gregory Hicks wrote:

> (Note:  *I THINK* ...  I may be wrong but this is what experience has
> taught.) I think that this may depend on the ORDER that the "domain"
> and "search" directives are presented in /etc/resolv.conf.  Whichever
> one is last is the one that has precedence.

That's the behavior that's described in the DNS & BIND book (4th ed. p.
106), so you're right there.  But it also says that "search" and
"domain" directives are mutually exclusive, so I've used only the
"search" directive here, no "domain" directive", in order to get the
behavior of searching for unqualified names under multiple domains.  Or
so I thought.  I seem to have stumbled across a situation where it
appears it doesn't want to search multiple domains and I'm trying to
understand why.

-norm

--
 Norman Joseph, System Engineer             joseph at ctc.com        IC|XC
 Concurrent Technologies Corporation         814/269.2633         --+--