Bind 9.3.2 can't resolve one domain

Jarek Poplawski jarkap at poczta.onet.pl
Wed May 24 12:40:28 UTC 2006

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:31:08PM +0200,
>  Jarek <jarek at fake.address.from.pl> wrote
>  a message of 14 lines which said:
>
>> PROBLEM: I can't resolve domain www.aukcje24.pl
>
> aukcje24.pl has only two name servers (bad) and they seem located in
> the same place, with the same software (bad, bad).
>
> They reply fine without EDNS0 but have an erratic behavior when
> queried with EDNS0 (most of the time, they timeout, sometimes, they
> FORMERR).
>
> This may provide a clue.

Hello!

I'm also interested in that problem, because I think there are
another domains behaving like this.

I also think it's mainly problem with timeouts, but I can't find
why bind 9.2.3 doesn't care, and why there is no apparent option
to change 9.3 behavior?

It seems timeout is mainly reached in recursive lookups because
there is no error when asking direct nameservers eg.:

dig www.aukcje24.pl @ns1.qxlricardo.com
or
dig ns1.qxlricardo.com @ns1.markmonitor.com

Maybe some more clues?