Delegation, parenting, and slaves/stubs

Norman P. B. Joseph joseph at ctc.com
Mon May 22 13:50:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 20:03 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:

> > And what difference would there be
> > between a "slave" zone like this and a "stub" zone like this?
>
> A stub zone automatically copies the subdomain's delegation records from
> the masters, but not the whole zone.  But the delegation records won't
> be followed when forwarding is enabled -- that's why you have to be a
> slave.

Just to be clear, are you saying that even with a stub zone defined with
a "null" forwarders list, the delegation won't be followed?  IOW, given
the environment I described earlier, this won't work for delegation
parenting:

zone "3.160.147.in-addr.arpa" {
	type STUB;
	file "zones/slave/147.160.3";
	masters { list; of; delegated; internal; servers; };
	forwarders {};
};

but this will:

zone "3.160.147.in-addr.arpa" {
	type SLAVE;
	file "zones/slave/147.160.3";
	masters { list; of; delegated; internal; servers; };
	forwarders {};
};

That seems to contradict what I read in the DNS & Bind book (4th ed)
section on forwarding, which implies that a null forwarders list should
work the same for master, slave and stub zones.

-norm

--
 Norman Joseph, System Engineer             joseph at ctc.com        IC|XC
 Concurrent Technologies Corporation         814/269.2633         --+--