Dynamic zones: some recommendations?

Chris Boot bootc at bootc.net
Fri May 19 10:38:03 UTC 2006

On 19 May 2006, at 06:21, Rob Butler wrote:

>>> Yes, DLZ can support an unlimited number of
>> domains
>>> with one entry in named.conf.  If you are going to
>> use
>>> an SQL database I highly recommend Postgresql.  If
>> you
>>> are looking for the best perfomance I recommend
>> the
>>> BDBHPT driver.  If you are looking for performance
>> and
>>> ease of maintaining the dns data I recommend a
>> hybrid
>>> approach as detailed in the best practices section
>> of
>>> the website.
>>
>> If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with
>> MySQL? How about LDAP?
>> I do currently run PostgreSQL but I was hoping to
>> move my control
>> panel over to MySQL and LDAP, so those were
>> currently my two
>> favourite options. Of course I could go the BDB
>> route, but I'd rather
>> avoid that... It's more files to deal with.
>
> There is nothing wrong with either.  I just like
> Postgresql better personally.  I did get some really
> bad numbers for the LDAP performance tests but that's
> probably because I am not an LDAP expert by any means
> and most likeley didn't have it indexed properly.

Well I must admit an SQL database lends itself much better to the DNS
data model than LDAP, so that's probably what I'll use really. LDAP
for system accounts mostly, and Apache virtual hosts, maybe mail.
I've just installed the unofficial Debian package, altered to enable
the LDAP module. For some reason the BDB module isn't enabled, and
doesn't build properly when it is, so I'm not sure I can use that
option.

Is there a way to get BIND to send notifies to secondary DNS servers?
I have a few zones with 3rd party secondary DNS that I'd like to
notify on changes, even if it's a scripted process. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help!

Chris

--
Chris Boot