Moving DNS behind NAT

JJ none at giganews.com
Mon May 15 01:28:20 UTC 2006

If you're talking about your internal hosts that use those servers to
resolve names, it's good practice for them to use the internal IP addresses.

Note that moving them behind a stateful firewall can cause some issues for
internal hosts because of round-robin DNS systems on the Internet. Consider
this:

1. Internal server queries an Internet round-robin server on IP address "A"
for a name. The round-robin system causes the server on address "B" to
reply.

2. The stateful firewall knows it queried "A" and waits patiently for a
reply from "A" that never comes. It sees the reply from "B" and drops it as
unsolicited.

I don't know how common this is anymore, but it caused us an issue when
www.schwab.com did it. That's when we found out our ISP had changed the IP
addresses of the forwarders without telling us. There was an MS article
about this awhile back as well. The "fix" is to use forwarders that are not
behind a stateful firewall.

Ray

news:e47m4e$2lsp$1 at sf1.isc.org...