Performance of auth-only vs recursor.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 9 20:35:53 UTC 2006

Sven Ingebrigt Ulland wrote:

>On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:04:25PM +0200, Sven Ingebrigt Ulland wrote:
>

>>Auth-only: 11,123 +/- 58 requests/second. (very small variation)
>>Recursor:   7,541 +/- 18 requests/second. (very small variation)
>>

>Um, that should be the other way around. The recursor outperforms the
>auth-only. Sorry about the mixup.

Those numbers are so low, it's anyone's guess where the bottleneck is.
58 qps works out to barely more than 5 million queries in the course of
a day, and I have aging old Sparc Ultra 2s, almost a decade old, that
can do way more than that. With your hardware specs, I think your
numbers should be much higher.

Why the bottleneck would affect authoritative queries/responses more
than recursive queries/responses, is another mystery, but one that may
become obvious when you get to the root of the problem.

- Kevin