dns usage?

Charles Cala charles_cala at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 18:04:25 UTC 2006

"Andersen" <andersen_800 at hotmail.com>  on Mon, 08 May 2006 14:59:54 +0200   said...
>How many users does DNS serve per day?
Any where from 0 to a over hundred billion.

Your question is like, how many people use the phone per day.

> Is there any statistics of this
sort?
yes
> Any references, any numbers?
Yes

Please frame our questions to be from the DNS server point of view,
Not an end users point of view.

Most of the basic info can be found here.

Let me try a rewrite of your questions

Q What do the large dns servers deal with?
A http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2001/DNSMeasRoot/dmr.pdf
A http://k.root-servers.org/nodes/nap/
     this graph shows a load of 1-2 THOUSAND queries per second

http://fortytwo.ch/mailman/pipermail/timekeepers/2005/001127.html
 “
	BTW, a billion queries a day is not a whole lot, especially if
you're talking about queries you're serving authoritatively.  Way
back in 1996, I built the AOL Caching Nameserver farm, using four DEC
Alpha 4100s each with four CPUs and 4GB of RAM, and running one copy
of BIND-8 on each CPU, in a fully fault-tolerant active/active
failover.

	We benchmarked each BIND-8 process as being able to handle at
least 2000 queries per second, and I'm convinced it was handling a
lot more and our testing tool wasn't able to go higher than that.
Nevertheless, we were also able to prove that each machine could
sustain 8000 queries per second, and that load on one BIND-8 process
had no impact on the others that were running.

	The whole cluster was capable of handling at least 32,000 DNS
queries per second (sustained), and if you do the math that works out
to 2.765 Billion queries per day.  In 1996.  Caching queries, not
authoritative queries.
“

Q What kind of name server can I set up for myself?, and how do they rate?

A http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/dnscomparison/
http://www.ripencc.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-44/presentations/ripe44-dns-dnscomp.pdf

A http://www.dedicated-server-news.com/news/dns-servers.html

Please phrase your questions so that the answers are informative to you,

These are yes/no questions
> Is there any statistics of this sort?
> Any references, any numbers?
 See http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

The answer to both is yes. Does the fact that there ARE places that you can get stats,
Give you the stats that you are looking for?

often I find , as I put effort into getting the question right,
I find myself able to answer my own query.

If English is not your native language, please state so. You might be able to find
a person who can converse in a language that you are more comfortable in.

please see the pages at
http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/
the sections on DNS, and, The answering of questions, might be helpful to you