Bind 9.2.4 - Load Balancing with SRV

Robert Bialek robertb at post.pl
Thu May 4 18:45:58 UTC 2006

Hi DNS Experts,

I'm looking for some experiences with Bind 9.2.4 and Load Balancing using
SRV Records.

I have the following configuration:

_ldap._tcp.example.com. 0 IN SRV 1 1 389 oid1.example.com.
_ldap._tcp.example.com. 0 IN SRV 1 1 3060 oid2.example.com.

I thought the load between oid1 and oid2 will be distributed evenly (oid1 -
50%; oid2 - 50%), but it is not the case.

I thought the LDAP Clients will contact the oid servers in the following
manner: oid1 -> oid2 -> oid1 -> and so on...
According to client trace files the load is not evenly distributed, and the
clients conntact sometimes repeatedly oid1
than oid2, and so on,  in no particular oder. Work as designed?

Best regards,
Robert