seeking comments on setting up local copy of root zone

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed May 3 14:02:33 UTC 2006

Danny Thomas wrote:
> RATIONALE
> Our primary network provider does not implement anycast routing to any of
> the instances of root name-servers in Australia:
>   http://www.apnic.net/services/rootserver/
> Apart from making use of the these instances that people have gone to the
> trouble of deploying, using the anycast instances would reduce load on the
> 'real' roots including deflection of any DOS traffic generated in that
> provider's routing community, but should also improve resiliency. Having
> a nearby root would reduce latency for a small proportion of queries, but
> having local instances of gTLD and ccTLD/2LD name-servers would presumably
> be a bigger win for latency.
> NB it is not that the provider won't do anycast, but their current routing
> policies would not prefer the Australian instances. Our secondary provider
> does anycast to local instances of f & k
>
> In any case we are looking at setting up the root zone locally, mainly to
> reduce (potential) load on the root name-servers. We don't generate that
> much traffic to the roots in the normal course of events (see below) and
> while only a minority is from bogus queries (0.7%, 33%, 18%), there is
> always the possibility this proportion could rise significantly. I don't
> know whether previous DOS attacks on the root name-servers have included
> botnets making large numbers of random  bogus queries, perhaps incidentally,
> but the possibility does exist.

You can disable forwarders, so you will not bother the root at all, except
for updating the root zone. This will prevent you from asking silly questions
like ".local" or "localhost" ...

> Having a local copy of root could help in case of DOS or other problems
> with the root name-servers.
>
> Negative caching would tend to reduce root lookups for repetitive
> bogus queries, e.g. unqualified hostnames.

I have seen lots of problems with negative caching. I dont think it will
help you against bogus queries. It kept me from reaching existing sites
for every glitch in somebodyelses connectivity.

> While the root zone has a ncache-ttl aka MINIMUM of 1 day, the default bind
> setting of max-ncache-ttl should limit that to 3 hours.
> However the third column in the results for each name-server show the most
> popular queries resulting in NXDOMAIN happen hundreds of times per day so I
> must be mis-calculating/understanding the negative caching time.
>
> NB we do master the reverse zones listed in
>   http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-andrews-full-service-resolvers-02.txt
> in fact we use 10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 blocks, but we do not master
> versions of the rfc2606 reserved zones such as example (except for localhost).
> Even though it doesn't seem covered officially yet (Kato's draft has expired
> but perhaps dnsop has passed something to IESG), and without a copy of the
> root zone it would probably be a good idea to master something for .local,
> but .internal seems to have been used by a local OrgUnit.
>

> IMPLEMENTATION CHOICES
> There would seem to be two ways of copying the root zone
>
> 1) using a zone transfer from the f-root, policy on availability:
>      http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=11025331560946
>    The concern is that if the zone transfer starts failing for any reason,
>    the root zone has an expiry time of only one week (i.e. shorter than the
>    xmas break here). Unless there is something special about the way the
>    root zone is handled, expiry of the root would probably lead to ugly
>    consequences ...

I have seen my Bind 9 loading the root zone twice per day. I hope that does
not bother the root too very much.

> 2) fetching ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/root.zone.gz on a regular basis
>    (how often are versions produced?), unpacking and if the last record
>    is that special TXT record, rndc reloading. The advantage of this
>    approach is that transfer failures only result in an out of date
>    copy, and I would expect changes in the root zone to be fairly gradual.
>    Other important zones are available from that site including arpa,
>    in-addr.arpa, edu and int.

I have seen sometimes the root not updating for two or three days while
the ftp file continued updating. I think with ftp you are faster and more
secure. Yes, you dont bother the root any longer now.

> With either of these approaches we would:
>   * use our normal notify statement which directs them only to our
>     name-server infrastructure.
>   * probably refuse zone transfers except from our name-server infrastruct-
>     ure, unless interested people commit to restricting notifies
>   * deny queries from outside our network. When we implement split-dns
>     the root zone would not appear in the external view
>   * in our monitoring system, check our root serial number against that of
>     the real roots and alert if it too far out of sync
>
> Comments ?
> Are there any gotchas with the root zone on bind ?
>
> Danny

Copying ".arpa" might be a good idea too, for the reverse lookups.

I have seen some terribly old data on alternative roots. They still work
remarkably well. That is because the important and daily changeing data
is down from the root in TLDs and further down.

Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium