DNS Error's on transfers

Phillip preeves1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 02:37:09 UTC 2006

Sorry I hit enter instead of tab on my last attempt after typing the
subject.

We have Bind 9.2.3 running on RHE3.   Our redhat servers are slaves to
windows servers.  The errors that are piling up in our logs are as
follows:

named[27177]: malformed transaction: db.mydomain.com.jnl last serial
20065 != transaction first serial 20064
named[27177]: transfer of 'mydomain.com/IN' from 192.168.100.10 #53:
failed while receiving responses: unexpected error
named[27177]: transfer of 'mydomain.com/IN' from 192.168.100.10#53: end
of transfer
named[27177]: zone mydomain.com/IN: transferred serial 20065

The .jnl files I assume are being produced from IXFR requests from the
bind servers. After the attempted update of the zone from the .jnl
files errors,  the bind servers will then request for a whole new
transfer (AXFR) of the zone which succeeds.  My question, is this a bug
in Bind 9.2.3 or does anyone have an idea of why the .jnl files are not
successfully dumping into the files.

It seems to me from the log that bind is doing what it should, that the
jnl files serial dont match with the slaves current serial and therefor
should perform a jnl update instead of causing an error.

Thanks,
Phillip