how was bind compiled/configured?

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 07:22:56 UTC 2006

I guess using 'ldd -v' on the old named binary could help, too. If
libcrypto shows up in the library dependencies, then openssl support
was enabled (--with-openssl=...) (most likely); if libpthread is
linked in, then that is most likely an indication that
--enable-threads was used. If libisc, libisccc and friends (the BIND 9
libraries) also show up, it means that the binary was dynamically
linked against those (by default it uses static linking). I don't know
if there's anything else you might need to care about.

The --enable-threads option seems to be a good idea on some platforms,
but not others (you haven't mentioned your platform). openssl is used
for DNSSEC, and I don't remember if it's required for anything else
(TSIG maybe?).

Hope this helps,
Stefan.