unexpected RCODE

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 22 18:08:02 UTC 2006

Mark Watts wrote:

>I keep getting the following type of messages in syslog on a bind 9.3.1 box
>(its an internal dns domain - not visible from outside the network):
>
>Mar 22 16:34:24 ins0 named[2086]: unexpected RCODE (REFUSED) resolving
>'blog.mq.eris.qinetiq.com/AAAA/IN': 128.98.76.115#53
>
>I get lots of these, all for machines on the mq.eriq.qinetiq.com domain, which
>should be being delegated to the IP address given.
>
>The zone file for eris.qinetiq.com has the following in it:
>
>mq.eris.qinetiq.com.                IN  NS      ns0.mq.eris.qinetiq.com.
>ns0.mq.eris.qinetiq.com.            IN  A       128.98.76.115
>
>What do these messages mean, and are they a result of a misconfiguration on my
>dns server, or theirs?

ns0 is refusing your queries, or at least some of your queries. If you
care about resolving names in the mq.eris.qinetiq.com subzone, you might
want to get to the bottom of these refusals. Note that if there were
multiple nameservers for mq.eris.qinetiq.com (which is actually an RFC
requirement), then even if one or more of them were refusing queries, as
long as at least one was still answering, the queries should still
resolve, albeit with less redundancy.

- Kevin