Caching reverse lookups...

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Mar 21 03:01:21 UTC 2006

"Cihan Subasi \(Garanti Teknoloji\)" <CihanS at garanti.com.tr> wrote:
> Reporting tools such as WebTrends does a lots of reverse lookups to
> crerate reports, and that eats almost my whole memory on the DNS
> servers. Is there a way look to prevent BIND not to cache reverse
> lookups for all or some users using an ACL if possible.

> I have solaris 2.9 with 9.3.2 running with 512 memory and every morning
> my 512M is full with the reverse lookups done by WebTrends server...

Are you sure it is a BIND named on your system and not Solaris'
resovler with its own cache? ISTR Solaris had some sort of resolver
cache in its resolver library.

Anyway, if there is a signal one can send to BIND named to cause it to
flush its cache you could do that periodically, the periodicity
determined by watcing how long it takes to get to some predetermined
memory consumption.

rick jones
                                     where do you want to be today?
feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com  but NOT BOTH...