Resolve Error

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 18 23:03:29 UTC 2006

In article <dvhdnk$2h5n$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Khaled Hussein" <khaled at palnet.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I found something, when I configure the nameserver in the resolv.conf file
> to the real IP address of the server it works fine but when I put 127.0.0.1
> or localhost it give me the same error

First of all, you can't put a hostname in resolv.conf -- it has to be an
address (otherwise you have infinite recursion -- you need to use the
nameserver to resolve the location of the nameserver).

It sounds like there's something wrong with the reverse zone for
127.in-addr.arpa on your server.  When nslookup starts, it tries to do a
reverse lookup of the server address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA