Solaris9, bind9, chroot, "user 'named' unknown"

guice666 at gmail.com guice666 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:13:17 UTC 2006

Peter Dambier wrote:
> guice666 at gmail.com wrote:
> > I posted this within mailing.unix.bind-users but judging from the
> > seriously lack of activity in that group, I think it was poor choice.
> > So, I decided to cross post it into here. Sorry if anybody gets tiffled
> > about the crosspost.
> >
> > I'm trying to get Bind9 installed under chroot, but I'm running into an
> > odd problem with "user 'named' unknown".
> >
> > I have everything in the /opt/named/ directory for the bind binary. I
> > can run it just find w/out the -u named. I have only the named user
> > within /opt/named/etc/passwd, /opt/named/etc/group and
> > /opt/named/etc/shadow with those files with the exact same permissions
> > as the ones in /etc.
> >
> > I run with the command: chroot /opt/named /sbin/named -u named -c
> > /etc/named.conf
> > Error: named: user 'named' unknown.
> >
> > It works w/out using chroot (ie: using /etc/ files); it works in chroot
> > w/out using -u named. But I can't seem to get it working under the
> > named user while under chroot.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> I found an idea in
>
> http://www.bewley.net/unix/solaris/chroot-named-solaris.php
>

> I guess the tricky part is, Solaris might need some libraries in the
> chroot to be able to read the chrooted /etc/passwd
>

> Regards
> Peter and Karin

ah ha! That did it! Digging through their scripts, I notice the
requirement you mentioned where it needs the nis libraries. This is
something that was missed in ALL the other chroot "tutorials" I've
read.

I copied over the nis_nss.so.1 and nis_files.so.1 and now it works!
Turns out they are required user passwd lookups.

Thanks much! My problem is now solved.

Philip