Solaris9, bind9, chroot, "user 'named' unknown"

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Fri Mar 17 05:22:29 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:39:32 -0500
> From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> Subject: Re: Solaris9, bind9, chroot, "user 'named' unknown"
>
> guice666 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >I posted this within mailing.unix.bind-users but judging from the
> >seriously lack of activity in that group, I think it was poor choice.
> >So, I decided to cross post it into here. Sorry if anybody gets
tiffled
> >about the crosspost.
> >
> >I'm trying to get Bind9 installed under chroot, but I'm running into
an
> >odd problem with "user 'named' unknown".

User unknown errors are USUALLY caused when the user name is not
contained in the /etc/passwd file...

> >I have everything in the /opt/named/ directory for the bind binary. I
> >can run it just find w/out the -u named. I have only the named user
> >within /opt/named/etc/passwd, /opt/named/etc/group and
> >/opt/named/etc/shadow with those files with the exact same
permissions
> >as the ones in /etc.
> >
> >I run with the command: chroot /opt/named /sbin/named -u named -c
> >/etc/named.conf
> >Error: named: user 'named' unknown.
> >
> >It works w/out using chroot (ie: using /etc/ files); it works in
chroot
> >w/out using -u named. But I can't seem to get it working under the
> >named user while under chroot.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> Do you get the same results when using named's -t option instead of
> Solaris' "chroot" command?
>

>                                        - Kevin

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin