Question about SERVFAIL error

김경희 kyounghee2.kim at hynix.com
Wed Mar 15 02:27:41 UTC 2006

Hello~~ My name is KyoungHee Kim, in Korea.

Our company has two dns. One is primary DNS and the other is secondary DNS.

Currently, I'm experiencing some odd behavior on Primary DNS. Its bind
version is BIND 9.2.4.

Secondary DNS is well operated and its bind version is BIND 9.2.1

Only primary DNS can¡¯t often resolve about certain site. Certain sites are
¡®techwing.co.kr¡¯ and ¡®mail.chiptron.co.kr.¡¯

Error message in Primary DNS is ¡°server can't find techwing.co.kr:
SERVFAIL¡±

After I change name server through nslookup, name resolving is success.

Both Secondary DNS and ISP¡¯s DNS are success in name resolving about
certain site.

Only our primary DNS can¡¯t resolve about certain site.

What is meaning of ¡°server can't find techwing.co.kr: SERVFAIL¡±?

Why is happened?

What should I do that?

This is probably better explained by showing you what I've done in regards
to nslookup, dig

===================== NSLOOKUP¡¯s Result

#nslookup

> techwing.co.kr

Server:         202.30.128.12

Address:        202.30.128.12#53

** server can't find techwing.co.kr: SERVFAIL

=======================  Dig¡¯s Result
dig @ns.hynix.com techwing.co.kr

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4rc6 <<>> @ns.hynix.com techwing.co.kr

;; global options:  printcmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 1655

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;techwing.co.kr.                        IN      A

;; Query time: 3 msec

;; SERVER: 202.30.128.12#53(ns.hynix.com)

;; WHEN: Wed Mar 15 11:05:27 2006

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 32