Zone Transfer

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 12 18:46:50 UTC 2006

In article <dv0qpl$2f70$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Khaled Hussein" <khaled at palnet.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>

> I have installed BIND DLZ and it is working fine but I have one problem in
> defining slave zones on my master server, I tried to add it in database but
> with no luck so I added it in the named.conf file but I still cannot get the
> zone on the server, I mean the server cannot transfer the zone and I cannot
> fine any logs even in my master server or in new one
>

> i add the new server IP address in the allow-transfer but with no luck

On which server did you add this?  This should be on the master, not the
slave.

> I have tow DNS servers one as master and the other is slave, what is the
> configuration should I put on both to work properly, the zone can
> transferred from master to slave

The master should have a "master" statement, the slave should have a
"slave" statement.  There are examples in the DNS & BIND book that show
exactly how they should look.

> And in the new server when I tried to run named.reload or other commands I
> got error message
>

> dns1# named.reload
>
> rndc: connect failed: connection refused

This usually means named isn't running.  Check your log to see why it's
crashing.

Maybe you could post your named.conf files from the master and slave and
we can tell what's wrong.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA