Bind 9.3.2 - how do i know dns is using which root server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 9 05:15:44 UTC 2006

In article <duo8k6$e0e$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Alex Tang" <alextang at cms.hkcable.com> wrote:

> it is because our cache only dns was upgraded to 9.3.2 from bind 8, we want
> to find out that can it use the nearest root server to query ? We have a BGP
> session with a root server which is located in the local exchange. Therefore,
> we want to find out some log to show which root server will be use if the dns
> server need to query root server.
>
> otherwise we need to use sniffer or snoop to obtain those information.

BIND keeps track of the response times of servers that it has queried in
the past.  When it needs to query a server for a particular zone, it
uses the one that had the best response time.  So if you have a very
fast connection to one root server, it will usually be used.

You can enable debugging and it should log when it's querying outside
servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA