splitting reverse-zone-file

Holger Honert holger.honert at signal-iduna.org
Wed Mar 8 07:05:36 UTC 2006

Hi Kevin,

sorry about that, but most people in network bussines do not know about the distinction of network classes in the first octet!

In our network department we only speak of /24 /16 or whatelse networks but as soon as you are talking with MS-sysadmins
(or Managers with "dangerous" half-knowledge) you get in trouble ...

I think I have the solution (but not yet tested) by writing a shell-script.
The zone file has some $ORIGIN statements which serve as a referrer to the according subnet.

I.e.:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 21600      ; 6 hours
19.172.in-addr.arpa     IN SOA  ns.example.net. dnsadmin.example.net. (
                                1290968    ; serial
                                3600       ; refresh (1 hour)
                                1800       ; retry (30 minutes)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                21600      ; minimum (6 hours)
                                )
                        NS      ns.example.net.
                        NS      ns1.example.net.
                        NS      ns2.example.net.
                        NS      ns3.example.net.
                        NS      ns4.example.net.
                        NS      ns-bak.example.net.
$ORIGIN 1.19.172.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     defgw_vhh_l1.example.net.
10                      PTR     sever155.example.net.
100                     PTR     server000.example.net.
$ORIGIN 111.19.172.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     defgw_vlan111.example.net.
11                      PTR     NetFlow.example.net.
116                     PTR     server134.example.net.

Thx for your answers and kind Regards

Holger