First nslookup/query from Windows clients always fails (Bind9)

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Mar 7 20:23:45 UTC 2006

This is Microsoft's fault. You are using Microsoft's nslookup which
has the side effect of appending your domain name to every lookup
first. In many setups this will cause the lookup to timeout.

In your example below, you are asking nslookup to resolve
www.cartoonnetwork.com but in reality it is first trying
www.cartoonnetwork.com.services.domain.com instead (or whatever the
rest of your FQDN is).

Suggestions:

1. Use dig

2. If you want to use Microsoft's nslookup, append your query with a
period so it knows not to append your domain name to the query.

3. I think you can also get the Windows binary version of nslookup
from ISC's win32 binary package of BIND as well (same place you get
dig). This doesn't exhibit that behavior. I would still recommend
learning dig though. It's much better.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain