Sort order of MX records while doing nslookup

Martin Rådbo news at teknologia.com
Mon Mar 6 21:56:22 UTC 2006

The "stupid" smtp-server is unfortunately impossible to change since it is
bundled with a fax gateway.

Of course the problem is gone if all or our mail servers is up and running
but the point with several servers is the failover function and to be sure
that our primary is our primary I would like the rrset function you talk
about.

I think we do have the latest bind supporting this, do you have an example
of how to write the zone-fil?

Regards
Martin Rådbo
Teknologia

"Jeff Reasoner" <jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org> skrev i meddelandet
news:dui4i2$1ea0$1 at sf1.isc.org...
: Unfortunately, probably not. My guess is that your mail server needs to
: resolve MX records almost exclusively from servers you do not manage.
: Answers to those queries, including the ordering, will be determined by
: the authoritative servers not your client resolver. If that is not true,
: and your servers are actually authoritative for all the domains your
: mail server sends to, then a version of Bind that supports fixed rrset
: ordering could do what you're asking.
:
: However, assuming that all the listed MXes are actually mail servers, it
: shouldn't matter. I don't think there's any reason the mail has to go
: *only* to the MX with the highest preference.
:
: Otherwise, "a very small and stupid smtp server" upgrade may be the only
: fix.
: