unicode support in domain names

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Mar 6 07:24:26 UTC 2006

Roman Mashak wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I searched through archives of this mailing list and found that
> support of unicode charsets in domain names is not yet well-supported.
> Does it mean there's no standard approved and verified or there are
> any other reasons?
>
> And second question I have: are there any patches available for
> "named" to support asian charsets in names (korean and so on)?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> Roman

The reason is DNS is designed 7-bit ascii. All the hosts in the
internet do support 7-Bit ASCII

Local languages are supported by punycode and look like

XN--55QX5D.     CDNS3.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS4.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS5.CNNIC.NET.CN HAWK2.CNNIC.NET.CN
XN--FIQS8S.     CDNS5.CNNIC.NET.CN HAWK2.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS3.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS4.CNNIC.NET.CN
XN--IO0A7I.     CDNS5.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS4.CNNIC.NET.CN CDNS3.CNNIC.NET.CN HAWK2.CNNIC.NET.CN

First is the domainname. The other columns tell you the nameservers that serve this domain.

As an example you may look at these sites. They are perfectly displayed (even the browser
input line) in the chinese character set.

http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.xn--fiqs8s/
http://xn--tfr0ku1wwu9a.xn--fiqs8s/
http://xn--5krv6ai22agieeo5b.xn--55qx5d/
http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/
http://xn--vuq28ffv4b.xn--io0a7i/
http://xn--qoxp3h.xn--io0a7i/

I-DNS have a lot of information about punycode and international domain names.

http://www.i-dns.net/

regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

--