Load Balancing

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:00:08 UTC 2006

BIND will allow you to return multiple answers to a single query, and
it will even cycle the order in which the multiple answers are listed.
 It is up to the application that recieves the answer(s) to determine
what to do.  It is common for an application to use only the first
answer it recieves.  When the end users are spread out on the Internet
the general effect is traffic being sent roughly equally to each of
the returned IP addresses.

The con configuration is simply to give the hostname multiple A records:

www   IN   A   10.1.1.1
www   IN   A   10.2.2.2
www   IN   A   10.3.3.3
www   IN   A   10.222.222.222