Update between primary and secondary DNS server

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Mar 2 13:09:48 UTC 2006

> Mark Andrews a écrit :
> >
> > 	Don't restart.  Reload the master nameserver.
> >
> Hi Mark ...
> Thanks for your answer ... that's what I've discovered during the night !!!
> If the zone is update on the secondary does it mean it is automaticly
> reloaded ... I've read someone having the file updated but not reloaded ?
> Once again thanks ...
> M.

	Slaves periodically poll the master servers to see if the zone
	needs to be transfered.  When the master is reloaded it will
	send a NOTIFY message to the slave which triggers a early poll.
	By stopping and starting named you stopped the NOTIFY being
	sent (load vs reload).

	In normal operations you never need to touch the secondary other
	than to add / remove zones.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC