Journal open failed.

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 23:44:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

I think it depends a bit on your distro, and how it sets up BIND. If
/var/lib/named is a symlink to something else, I guess that if you
chmod the symlink it's no good. OTOH, I have SuSE 9.1 at work, and
that one has it as a proper directory. With screwed permissions just
like your setup. However, you don't want to allow anyone to write to
your BIND directory - just change the group of /var/lib/named to
'named' and give group write access. I'm assuming you're running BIND
as user named - that's how it is on SuSE 9.1.

Are you sure you're not chmod-ing /var/run/named..., which is actually
a symlink? Symlinks have different permissions from their targets,
IIRC. Also, for creating the journal file named has to have write
permissions to the directory where your zone file (example.com) is.
IIRC, the name of the journal file is just the name of the zone file
with '.jnl' appended, at least that's how it was in 9.3.0.

Stefan.

On 6/14/06, kalyanasundaram S <s.kalyanasundaram at inbox.com> wrote:

> I am using bind 9.3.2
[...]