Expired Zone "Recovery" Process

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Jun 14 15:00:49 UTC 2006

colin.kopp at gmail.com wrote:
> Assume a master name server goes away and the slave name server
> eventually expires the zone.
>
> When the master name server comes back up does it send a NOTIFY to
> each of the slaves?

I guess when the master comes up it does not know about the slaves.
No problem. The slaves can cope without.

>  If yes - what does the slave do given that the zone has
>  expired?  Does it ignore the NOTIFY because it has no
>  knowledge of the zone (effectively the slave has deleted
>  all knowledge it had of the the zone) or does it
>  accept the NOTIFY and action it?
>
>  If no - then presumably one would have to do an reload of
>  the zone or a restart of the slave to pick up its
>  "authoritativeness" (;-)) again.  Is that a fair statement?

My slave tried again and again to read the serialnumber from the
master. It kept complaining even after it stopped answering for
the zone. That is why I guess as soon as it sees the master
again it will compare serialnumbers and reload the zone from
the master if it changed.

My master (it was not mine after all :) never came back. That
is why once I made my slave the master using its slaved zone.
Another time I could select a different master. Both times I
had to reload my slave.

> I check a number of newsgroups for an answer and looked at an
> older version of the "DNS and Bind" book but couldn't find
> an answer to this.  If there is a reference on this somewhere
> I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers
>
> ./CK