Reverse DNS and Web-browsing

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 13 01:40:29 UTC 2006

In article <e6ks72$2inf$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "M" <no at spam.co.name> wrote:

> Can slow reverse DNS cause web browsing to run slow?  Do http servers do a
> reverse DNS on all connections and wait for a response before serving up the
> page?

While they could, I think it's unlikely that any significant number of
sites do so except under special conditions.  There are many
organizations that don't have their reverse DNS set up properly, so
doing reverse lookups at connection time would cause them to lose lots
of customers because of the delays.  It's much more common for them to
log the IP addresses and post-process the logs to get hostnames if they
need them.

Test it at www.dnsstuff.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA