Forwarding under which conditions?

Arik Raffael Funke arik.funke at gmx.de
Sat Jun 10 19:26:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am connecting a relatively small network via an ADSL connection
(128kbit up) to the ISP. I have currently set up dns forwarding for my
local clients to the ISP DNS Servers. I was now looking for a way to
automatically update the forwarders directive in the config. While doing
so I stumbled over an apparent controversy of whether or not to use.
Unfortunately the list archive have not helped me to decide whether in
my situation it should or should not be used.

Can anybody summarise briefly when to and when not to use forwarding? I
thought I use local caching such as to speed up queries.

Cheers,
Arik