"refresh: retry limit for master - exceeded" What Causes This?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jun 8 18:22:14 UTC 2006

Ronan Flood writes:
>It hasn't been able to get the SOA for the zone from the master
>over UDP.  It logs this then tries over TCP.  Could be occasional
>packet loss on your network?

	Thank you very much.  This makes perfect sense.  The
messages usually regard zones that are on our remote campuses.
On any given DNS, they seem to occur most on those zones that are
farthest away.  I looked in the log of a slave that is on the
same network segment as our master and found one incident in May
of 2005, another for the same zone in October of 2005, and the
next one didn't occur until this April 10.  The same system
reported more frequent errors on distant zones so this matches
the packet loss explanation nicely.  In fact, I think the dates I
saw for the zone on the same segment are most likely times when
we had some sort of general trouble.  Again, many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer