Blocking access

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 7 22:52:40 UTC 2006

The problem is you didn't state your original question very clearly.
"block access to a.b.c.d server at DNS level" could, among other
interpretations, mean

a) create an "override" in your nameserver's DNS namespace, such that clients trying to resolve a.b.c.d will get different data than would what would be returned as the result of "normal" name resolution, or no useful information at all (the concealment or misdirection that this effects then in a vague sense serves to "block" your clients' access to the site or resource at a.b.c.d), or

b) prevent your nameserver(s) from accessing the nameserver at address a.b.c.d

Apparently Lou Goddard gave your question the (b) interpretation, and answered it adequately (although I would add to his response that defining the address as "bogus" is a slightly more generous approach than "blackhole", since it still allows queries from the address to be responded to). At least one other poster (myself) gave your question the (a) interpretation, and answered as best we could. So now you have two sets of answers to your question, along with a mild rebuke for being so ambiguous in the first place.

							- Kevin