Forwarding Requests to an External Name Server

The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Tue Jun 6 15:23:47 UTC 2006

In article <e62thq$m9l$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Mark Andrews  <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>> I have several internal name servers are that still running BIND
>> 8.3.7-REL running under BSD/OS 4.3.1.  Normally, this version of BIND
>> behaves the same as BIND 9.3.x that is running on various Linux
>> systems and appears to be a little more robust.
>>
>> The BIND 8.3.7-REL systems are internal master name servers that
>> function as name servers of last resort for all internal name
>> servers.  If they cannot answer the DNS query locally, they are
>> configured to forward all DNS queries to an external name server.
>> The global section of named.conf has both forwarders {...}; and
>> forward only; statements.
>>
>> Over the weekend, one of the internal servers began forwarding
>> queries for an internal-only zone to the external name server
>> although it had a valid copy of the internal zone.  What can cause
>> this to happen?
>
>	If the zone has expired it will do this if I remember
>	correctly.  Similarly if a reload of the zone fails for
>	some reason.
>
>	Note 8.3.7-REL has bugs which are fixed in 8.4.7-REL.
>
>> To clear the problem, I had to stop the name server and then restart
>> it.  This is unusual as we, typically, only stop and restart BIND is
>> when we change versions of BIND or apply a patch to the operating
>> system.
>>
>> Merton Campbell Crockett
>> m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
>--
>Mark Andrews, ISC
>1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org

I am using Bind 9.X current on BSD/OS 4.3.1 .

Try pointing browser to http://www.nk.ca/~doctor/blog/serendipity/index.php?serendipity%5Baction%5D=search&serendipity%5BsearchTerm%5D=bind
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor at nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor at nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Beware Linux the MS Windows of Unix! Demand UseNet an integral part of Internet!

believed to be clean.