how to let other people know my hostname through IP address

Greg R. Broderick gregb.usenet200607 at blackholio.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 26 22:45:16 UTC 2006

"dxuranus" <dxuranus at gmail.com> wrote in
news:1153907460.945016.284140 at s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Chris Uppal wrote:
>> dxuranus wrote:
>>
>> > i have a public hostname "a" (not my machine name)on internet and
>> > my ip is xx.xx.xx.xx;
>> >   the problem is other people can get my ip through hostname.but
>> >   if he try to get my hostname through ip he always failed.
>>
>> Sounds as if something's screwy with reverse DNS lookup.  That
>> /might/ be an error, or more likely is just a result of how your
>> ISP/'DNS/etc works. This isn't really Java-related at all.  Talk to
>> whoever provides your DNS entry (whoever it is that provides the
>> lookup from the domain name, xxx.yyy.zzz, to your numeric IP
>> address -- which is probably whoever you paid to register your
>> domain name).
>>
>>     -- chris
> ye that's right it's about dns reverse.i think it can be done by
> program (because qmail can)
> .but i do't know how?

You need to:

1.  find out what entity handles reverse-DNS for your IP address.
Normally this would be your Internet Service Provider, but can be
determined conclusively with the command:

dig -x <your IP address> NS

2.  contact this entity and request that they modify their reverse-DNS
data to return the host name that you desire.

[followups set appropriately to comp.protocols.dns.bind]

Cheers
GRB