Domain Name Forwarding

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 26 13:38:28 UTC 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 23:52 , Mokwena Motseto wrote:

> You can use zone forwarding

...for some definition of forwarding.

If you have a "properly" constructed zone file that uses BIND's
capability to append the current origin to a host name, a single zone
file can be used to populate both the eye4you.com.au and
eye4you.com.nz zones.  The "official", if you will, fully-qualified
domain name of the host will be whatever is defined in the IN-
ADDR.ARPA zone file.

Unfortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, my organisation
has been acquired by increasingly larger companies over the last 25
years.  We have been using this technique to provide a graceful
transition from one domain to the next for nearly as long.

The only catch is that the name usage must be identical in each zone.

Merton Campbell Crockett

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net