TLD wildcard doesn't always work

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 20 00:31:05 UTC 2006

> I did some further investigation.
>
> First I need to say that my zone file list in the previous message is
> not complete.  I have about 13 A records and 11 PTR records in addition
> to the wildcard I had listed before. If I remove all the additional A
> records and PTR records the wildcard works fine.
>
> With the wildcard and the additional records it won't resolve (via the
> wildcard) any .edu name that I can find.  So I added another wildcard like:
>
> *.edu        IN      A      1.2.3.4
>

> Now it will resolve all .edu names but it won't resolve just 'edu'.
>
> I really don't understand what is going on here.
>
> Here is the query of edu after adding the *.edu wildcard  Notice that it
> is not a NXDOMAIN response.
>
> dig @localhost edu
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @localhost edu
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;edu.                           IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> .                       30      IN      SOA     garnet.ucc.nau.edu.
> cvm.jan.ucc.nau.edu. 1000001 1800 900 30 30
>
> ;; Query time: 0 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(localhost)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Jul 19 16:27:16 2006
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 79
>

> Chris Michels wrote:
> > I have been running a DNS server with a top level domain wildcard for
> > many years now.  It worked fine until I tried to upgrade from BIND 9.2.1
> > to BIND 9.3.1 or 9.3.2.   Under the 9.3.x versions named returns
> > NXDOMAIN for some domains.  It looks to me NXDOMAIN is returned for
> > anything in the edu domain.  Everything else works fine.  Any ideas what
> > is going on here?
> >
> > My zone file looks like this:
> >
> > $TTL 30
> > ;
> > ; zone .
> > ; Bogus root zone for redirecting web requests on some 10.x.0.0 networks
> > ;
> > @       IN      SOA     garnet.ucc.nau.edu. bogus.nau.edu. 1000001 1800
> > 900 30 30
> >         IN      NS      garnet.ucc.nau.edu
> > $ORIGIN .
> > ;
> > ; Default location to send people
> > *        IN      A      1.2.3.4
> >

> > And my named.conf lookes like:
> >
> > #
> > # named.conf used for redirecting 10.1, 10.2 and possibly other addresses t
> > # a default web server.
> > #
> > # use all default options
> > options {
> >        directory "/usr/local/opt/named";
> >        datasize 25M ;
> > };
> >
> > # No hint file since we a pretending to be the root nameserver
> >
> > #zone "." in {
> > #        type hint;
> > #        file "/nau/local/etc/named/named.cache";
> > #};

> [...]

	The reason for the change in behaviour is a bug was fixed.

	Names under edu didn't match because you have a name in the
	zone (garnet.ucc.nau.edu) which has edu as the final label.

	You match a wildcard if as you work down from the root matching
	labels in the zone there is a "*" label immediately under the
	last label to match.

	For "example.edu" this would be "*.edu" as the "edu" label exists
	without any attached records.

	For "host.ucc.nau.edu" this would be "*.ucc.nau.edu" as "ucc",
	"nau" and "edu" all exist.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC