building a DNS system

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Wed Jul 19 13:34:34 UTC 2006

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:47:28PM +0200,
>  Sten Carlsen <ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote
>  a message of 23 lines which said:
>

>> What times should we expect for loading all those images?
>>

> It depends on:
>
> * wether you pick the first address (which does not work) or the
> second (which does work). Pure luck. "dig A broken.bortzmeyer.fr".
>
> * how your network infrastructure reports that the first address is
> not reachable (immediate ICMP "Network unreachable" or black
> hole?).
>
> * how your browser reacts to this unreachability.
>
> The purpose of this little experiment is to see wether a pure DNS
> redundancy solution is realistic for HTTP (I do not think so).

Given only the bogon IP, wget times out, again and again:

--15:22:37--  http://113.1.2.3/
  (try:10) => `index.html'
Connecting to 113.1.2.3:80... failed: Operation timed out.
Retrying.

--15:24:02--  http://113.1.2.3/
  (try:11) => `index.html'
Connecting to 113.1.2.3:80... failed: Operation timed out.
Retrying.

So nothing in the network is saying that host is unreachable or
something like that.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.