building a DNS system

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 19 13:01:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:47:28PM +0200,
 Sten Carlsen <ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote
 a message of 23 lines which said:

> What times should we expect for loading all those images?

It depends on:

* wether you pick the first address (which does not work) or the
second (which does work). Pure luck. "dig A broken.bortzmeyer.fr".

* how your network infrastructure reports that the first address is
not reachable (immediate ICMP "Network unreachable" or black
hole?).

* how your browser reacts to this unreachability.

The purpose of this little experiment is to see wether a pure DNS
redundancy solution is realistic for HTTP (I do not think so).