BIND and ZoneAlarm

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 07:46:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 18 Jul 2006 10:21:06 -0700, Eugen COCA <ecoca at eed.usv.ro> wrote:

> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> > It should be possible for any reasonable "personal firewall" IP blocking
> > / filtering software.
>
> Theoretically speaking YES, practically NO.

If what you're saying is true, I guess we can infer that ZA is not a
reasonable "personal firewall"? :)

You didn't specify *what* didn't work, at least in your first post.
Details are important, I guess specifying the version of BIND used,
the version of ZA used wouldn't hurt, plus the things you are trying
to achieve... This seems more like a ZoneAlarm question, though, I'm
not sure how many people on this list have played with it that much.

> BIND does not work with Zonealarm, even if ZA is unloaded (service
> stopped). I made numerous tests, on two different systems - secondary
> zones are not transferred. On other system, without ZA, BIND works
> properly.

What kind of tests? Last time I used ZA, if you stopped ZA no traffic
at all would be let through, IIRC, so that scenario shouldn't be
expected to work anyway.

Stefan.