why do I get "No response from server"

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Jul 14 15:55:50 UTC 2006

Big thanks and problem solved.

It took a while but after £35 for "DNS and BIND, 5th Edition" book and
some more searching. I located some information about "packet-filtering
firewalls that are configured to allow nameserver-to-nameserver traffic
but not resolver-to-nameserver traffic, because they typically expect
nameserver-to-nameserver traffic to originate from port 53 and terminate
at port 53"

Anyway, with this information I could force the people who maintain our
firewall (if we looked after it our-selfs we could have solved this
problem weeks ago!) to look into it and after another 3 weeks they came
back to me telling me that a lot of traffic was being blocked.

I useful site is http://194.242.112.64/~willemijns/dns.htm which gives a
list of open name servers which I could test our site on.

Hopefully all is well and thanks for all who helped.

Andrew