COnfigure DNS for Exchange 2003

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 11 00:34:49 UTC 2006

In article <e8u7en$15m3$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Thierry Le Prettre" <honu at technolog.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i need some help on a DNS configuration.
>
> I've got a DNS server running well and a postfix mail server. All is working
> fine (hope so ..). My postfix mailserver is declared in the DNS as followed:
> mydomain.com MX pop.mydomain.com.
> The IP address of the site is 1.1.1.1
>

> I installed now in a another location an Exhcnage 2003 mail server. I didn't
> want this server to receive email directly by internet so i'm using the
> POP3Connector of Exchnage2k3. The IP address of the site is 2.2.2.2, and the
> sending mail address is @mydomain.com (as the main one).
>
> My problem is : how can i tell to everyone on the internet that the email
> @mydomain.com coming from 2.2.2.2 are not spam ? which value did I had to
> modify in my DNS ? The MX didn't fit (as the server IS NOT going to receive
> any email) ...so ??

There's no requirement that outgoing mail and incoming mail use the same
servers, and it's quite common for them to be different (most ISPs and
many large companies do this).  So you shouldn't have to do anything
with MX records to ensure this.  Just make sure you have valid and
matching forward and reverse DNS entries for both 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA