Using x.com on LAN when authoritative NS on inet

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jul 8 02:17:20 UTC 2006

hobosalesman at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to use x.com (I own the domain) on my LAN. I pay a company
> to host x.com (web/mail). I've set up bind9 on my LAN and made it
> authoritative for x.com, set up DNS for all my hosts in this domain. I
> can resolve x.com to my host's IP so the website works, but mail has me
> confused, I'm not so familiar with MX records or MDA/MTAs. I want to
> have mail for *@x.com sent to the mail server on my LAN, except for a
> few addresses. I need to mail bob at x.com from within the LAN and have it
> reach my host's mail server so bob can read it.
>
> My bright idea is to send all mail from within the LAN to the LAN mail
> server, and have it forward specific addresses to my host's server. I
> haven't confirmed this is possible, I'm looking for someone to maybe
> point a finger in the right direction?

You don't really have much of a choice here, since MX records apply to
the "domain" part of a mail address (everything after the @-sign). You
can't use MX'es to redirect individual mailboxes to different destinations.

So, you'll need to point the x.com MX record at some mail server that
looks at the mailbox part of the address and forwards and/or delivers
accordingly. How you set up a mail server to do that is off-topic for
this list, and dependent on what mail software you use. I know for
sendmail you could just use an alias file. But you should probably ask
on a list that's specific to whatever software you use.

               - Kevin