How to Host Multipoe Domains on One Namesever Question

Tom Naves tom.naves at orthodyne.com
Tue Jan 31 18:21:37 UTC 2006

I have been hosting one domain on my name server for some time now.  Now I
am trying to host another domain on this one name server.  I have two
questions:

Both my forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones currently have the
following NS Record
        IN        NS        nameserver.mydomain.com

Currently I have one forward lookup zone, db.mydomain.com with A Records for
all the hosts for that domain.  Additionally I have several reverse lookup
zones that reflect my subnets.

When I create the new domain/zone mydomain.net should it have the same name
server as the above or should I make the NS record reflect the zone name?
         IN        NS        nameserver.mydomain.net

and then give the name server an A record in the forware lookup zone for
that domain?

My second question is what to do about the reverse lookup zones.  I have two
mail exchangers that serve both domains:

mail.mydomain.com
mail2.mydomain.com

mail        IN    A    192.168.1.134
mail2      IN    A    192.168.1.131

and

mail.mydomain.net
mail2.mydomain.net

mail        IN    A    192.168.1.131
mail2      IN    A    192.168.1.134

Can I put both hosts in the reverse lookup zone?  If so, how do you do it?

I cannot find how to do this in DNS and BIND and I cannnot find any examples
on the Internet

Tom Naves
System Administrator
Orthodyne Electronics