[bind9] allow transfer, nameserver-only?

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jan 31 14:41:38 UTC 2006

And Barry Margolin (barmar at alum.mit.edu) replied:

"Helmut Schneider" <jumper99 at gmx.de> replied:

> Yes, Windows DNS does and I hoped that bind has such an option, too.
>
> Thanks, Helmut

The MS implementation has one drawback/bad design.  When a zone transfer
request is received from IP address, then the MS code checks
its DNS cache to see if it can resolve that IP address.  If the address
resolves to a name that is in the zone's NS list, then the zone
transfer request is honored.  If the address resolves to a name
that is not in the zone's NS list, the transfer is refused.
BUT, if the IP address is not in the DNS cache, then the zone transfer
is refused.  One of the developers told me that the code will not
do a DNS query to get the nodename associated with the IP address
because that query has a chance of being hijacked by a rogue server
and the wrong information acquired.  When I see this happen on my
MS W2k+3 DNS server, I just issue the command

     dig <name of BIND slave> @<name of MS W2k DNS Server>

and the MS code will do DNS queries to find the IP address(es) of
the BIND slave and place those addresses in its cache.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov