Caching only server

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 31 02:32:56 UTC 2006

On 28 Jan 2006, at 03:50 PST, Mokwena Motseto wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to change my DNS server to forward all the requests to other
> DNS
> servers
>
> I have changed the named.conf file to the one below, is there anything
> that I might have overlooked
>
> This is what my named.conf file looks like
>

> // generated by named-bootconf.pl
>
> options {
> 	directory "/etc/named.data";
> 	forwarders {
> 		10.3.64.51;
> 		10.3.64.52;
> 		10.3.64.73;
> 	};
> };

Are the above addresses examples or the ones that you will actually
be using?  If the latter, I assume that you do not have direct access
to the Internet root name servers and that the only systems permitted
to perform external DNS queries are those listed in the forwarders
option.  If this is the case, I would add the following option.

	forward only;

This will eliminate attempts to contact the Internet root name servers.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net