special characters in zone files

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sat Jan 28 15:08:20 UTC 2006

Thanks for your response.

It seems you missed the fact I had already tried to escape with the \.

RFC1035 did indeed contain an example of using \ to do escaping in the
SOA but this was in the MNAME even though the comment below it implies
it would work for the RNAME.  To restate what I previously said using \
in the RNAME didn't help.

My SOA record:
@               IN SOA  dswadns1.water.com.
domain\.technician.water.com. (
                                2006012801      ; serial
                                10800           ; refresh
                                3600            ; retry
                                604800          ; expire
                                86400 )         ; default_ttl

In the above dswadns1.water.com. is the MNAME and
domain.technician.water.com is the RNAME.

However on doing a reverse lookup (this is an arpa in.addr zone file)
www.dnsstuff.com shows the address as domain at technician.water.com
instead of domain.technician at water.com.
The pointer to specific RFCs was helpful though.  I'm a newbie to DNS
(inherited existing environment) and at least knowing this was the RNAME
gave me something more to Google on.  The only direct reference I found
to it failing was on MS Windows and their fix was an SP.  Since I'm
running Linux that isn't going to help.   Most other references
indicated as you did that escaping it with \ should work but it simply
doesn't seem to.  I couldn't find any example SOAs in which a \ had been
put in the RNAME.

Is it possible it's just that www.dnsstuff.com itself isn't properly
interpreting the RNAME?  Should an external site like that even see the
full entry rather than interpretation of it by named?  I'd have thought
it wouldn't.

FYI:  Based on the comment mentioned in RFC1035 I did try putting quotes
around the entire RNAME rather than just the person portion as done
previously but this again broke the zone file.