nsupdate succeeds with wrong key...

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jan 26 21:56:44 UTC 2006

> I noticed that with secret key length = 24 characters, I can send a
> wrong key and
> still see that nsupdate suceeds.
>
> BIND version: 9.2

	All BIND 9 versions have THREE numbers in them.  The last
	number is the maintence release number.

	BIND 9.2 is a feature set.

> OS : HPUX-11i
>
> My secret key has the format:
>
> <22characters> followed by ==
>
> Example:
> blahblahblahblahblahkG==
>                                 ^^
>                                  +------------------------ CHARACTER TO
> CHANGE
>
> Step#1: Have the same key in nsupdate input key file and in named.conf
> step#2 : do a nsupdate, it succeeds [ Accepted behavior ]
> step#3: Change G to H ( or any upper case alphabet )
> step#4 : do a nsupdate, it succeeds...!!!!!!   [ UNACCEPTABLE Behavior
> ]
>
> However, if I change from G to g ( or to any lower case character or to
> a digit ), I see a ERROR in nsupdate ( Accepted behavior ).
>
> Is this a known bug in nsupdate or named?

	From BIND 9.2.3 CHANGES.

1465.   [bug]           isc_base64_decodestring() and isc_base64_tobuffer()
                        failed to check that trailing bits were zero allowing
                        some invalid base64 strings to be accepted.  [RT #5397]

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org