Slave suddenly denies notifications.

nocturnal nocturnal at swehack.se
Wed Jan 25 10:59:40 UTC 2006

Hi

I have a setup of one master and two slave nameservers which has worked
just fine for a while now. A few days ago added zones would not work and
when i checked it out i saw that one of the slaves was denying the
notification of new zones from the master. No one has changed any
configuration options, at least no one who would admit it, and like i
said it's been working fine for a while.

This is a new setup though, we used to have just two nameservers where
one was master and one slave, recently we made a system which would keep
the zones in a database and write them to the master which is not
registered with the global registry. The slaves then get the data from
the master and act as our real active nameservers.

I doubt this system matters because i've looked at the problem for a
while now and i'm pretty sure about what happens but not why. I add a
zone, it gets appended to my master zonesfile which is called
master.zones and included in named.conf at EOF. It then appends the zone
to my slave zonesfile which is called slave.zones and is shared with NFS
so my two slave nameservers can read it. Now it writes the zonefile with
all the records to my zonesdir. So far no problems at all but before my
script exits it sends rndc reload to the master nameserver. I only send
it to the master because i noticed that the slaves would be notified
when the master reloaded so that worked fine for a while. Until now.

Now if i tail -f the messages log on the system i see the following
message as soon as my script on the master has added the zone
information and sends rndc reload to the master only.
Jan 25 10:42:46 ns1 named[26532]: client
<MASTER_NAMESERVER_IP-ADDRESS>#62904: received notify for zone
'<ZONE_NAME>': not authoritative
I've replaced sensitive data with <> "tags". This now happens for every
new zone added. I did discover a fix for this though. Only one of the
slave servers produces the error, the other one stays silent. If i send
named the HUP signal and restart it on the first slave nameserver then
after a short moment everything works and the new zone is in both the
first nameserver and the second one. The zone now works without any
errors and responds to all queries for it.

I am quite desperate about now and i hope you can help me.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal
[Swehack] http://swehack.se