Quick question from a newbie

binderright at googlemail.com binderright at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:17:21 UTC 2006

Hi guys - here's the thing: I'm good at programming, but I know nothing
about bind and dns and I'm on a tight deadline. Any help would be
appreciated.

I need any host from my domain name to point at a single site, except
for mail. Right now only www.mydomain.com goes there. But I need any
host host to go there, meaning that xyz.mydomain.com and
www.mydomain.com and whatever.mydomain.com should all point at the same
site.

So basically I know I need a willdcard but I don't know how. My host
file looks like this (I changed the names and ips, but the file is
identical):

mydomain.com.	IN	SOA	ns1.nameserver.net. administrator.mydomain.com. (
			7894112207
			3600
			600
			86400
			3600 )
mydomain.com.	IN	NS	ns1.nameserver.net.
mail.mydomain.com.	IN	A	218.221.789.900
mydomain.com.	IN	MX	10   mail.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com.	IN	A	458.465.45.12
ftp.mydomain.com.	IN	A	458.465.45.12
intranet.mydomain.com.	IN	A	458.465.45.12
www.mydomain.com.	IN	A	458.465.45.12

Is it ok if I add *.mydomain.com.	IN	A	458.465.45.12 at the end of the
file? Would it do the trick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)