BIND9 master/slave - ixfr problems

Ronni Jensen roj at mvb.dk
Fri Jan 20 11:45:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am new to BIND, but hope you guys can help out with this issue; I have
konfigured a master (ns1 10.10.2.245) and a slave (ns2 10.10.2.246), but
have problems resolving dns queries on the slave.

ns1 named.conf for thisdomain.dk:

zone "thisdomain.dk" {

        type master;

        file "data/t/thisdomain.dk";

        allow-transfer { 10.10.2.246; };

};

ns2 named.conf for thisdomain.dk:

zone "thisdomain.dk" {

        type slave;

        file "data/t/thisdomain.dk";

        masters { 10.10.2.245; };

};

As you can see, the zone is defined in named.conf on NS1, and the
zonefile is located at etc/bind/data/t/thisdomain.dk. On NS2 the slave
zone is defined in named.conf but there is no zonefile in
data/t/thisdomain.dk. This is where I expect NS2 to transfer the zone
from NS1 and store it.

If I do a nslookup for thisdomain.dk at NS1, everything looks fine and I
get the info which is in the zone file. But if I do the same query on
NS2, I get this error:

NS2:/etc/bind# nslookup

> set q=any

> thisdomain.dk

Server:        127.0.0.1

Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find thisdomain.dk: SERVFAIL

Can someone please explain me why NS2 doesn't initiate a zone transfer
from NS1 and return contents from that zone?

Thank you :-)

Best regards,

Ronni Jensen