bind automatically updating secondary server with new zones

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 17 23:26:17 UTC 2006

Jason wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have 2 BIND dns servers.
>
>Is there a record, or perhaps a server setting, that will, in response to a
>zone being created on the master server to also be created on the slave
>server?
>
>Mind you, I'm not talking about changes to a zone file...  I'm talking about
>adding a new zone file outright.

There's nothing in BIND to support this. Commercial DNS-management
products have their own, proprietary ways to do this, and many folks
roll their own solutions, using an "index" zone (i.e. a zone that
contains just a list of zones to slave), rsync'ed "include" files,
traversal of the internal-root namespace, or whatever...

                                                               - Kevin